Good to have a 7″ vinyl single to support the release of the new Tunng album.
‘Woodcat’ is one of the best/more accessible tracks off the new album Comments Of The Inner Chorus (out 22 May).
Viva Voce (aka Kevin & Anita Robinson) are also on Full Time Hobby. Hailing from Portland, Oregon they’re as quirky as Tunng themselves. Their remix reimagines ‘Woodcat’ as appearing in ‘Bullitt’ (or similar 70s jazz inspired soundtrack). It also returns a favour as Tunng remixed Viva Voce’s ‘Wrecking Ball’ last year. These two bands seem a good match for each other in a strange Death From Above, 1979 way.
Not sure this ‘Woodcat’ will get outside of the fanbase (Gilles Peterson, Rob da Bank, Chris Coco et al) but it certainly has crossover potential. You never know as they’ve just played Triptych Festival and Cargo. Keep an eye out on tracklists. Check their web site for full details of upcoming gigs but see below for extracts. Apart from appearing at the Wychwood Festival [with Fly as a proud media sponsor] they are also gigging with the other ‘giants’, The Eighteenth Day Of May in July at A Fistful Of Twisted Folk. Now that’s a prospect to anticipate.
Hectic Mix Nomination: Woodcat (Viva Voce Remix)
Reviewed: Tunng – ‘Woodcat’ (Full Time Hobby) Cat. No. FTH020S 7″ Release date: 24 Apr 2006
Credits: Written By – Mike Lindsay , Sam Genders. Artwork By – Vanessa Da Silva
A. Woodcat (3:49)
B. Woodcat (Viva Voce Remix) (3:26)
- 20th May – Great Escape Festival, Sumo, Brighton
- 3rd June Wychwood Festival, Cheltenham Racecourse [Supported by FLY]
- 15th July – Sonar Festival, Barcelona [Static Caravan showcase, with Inch-time and Static DJs]
- 22nd July – Arts Depot, Finchley, London [A Fistful of Twisted Folk featuring The Eighteenth Day of May, Barbarossa, Martha Tilston, Hush The Many and more tbc. ¬£16]
- 4th August – Big Chill Festival, Eastnor Castle, Herefordshire
- 8th September – Bestival, Robin Hill, Downend, Isle of Wight