The return of four brand new Disco Discharge double CD sets is further proof that, to paraphrase, Discos Not Dead and it kicks off diggin’ deeper into the vaults.
After last week’s Horse Meat Disco II when that’s famous foursome got diggin’ for some more gems from the Disco dance floor, the guys at Disco Discharge have been equally industrious with four more double CD editions to compliment last years’ Disco Discharge: Disco Classics, Disco Discharge: Euro Disco and Disco Discharge: Disco Ladies and Disco Discharge: Gay Disco & Hi NRG.
HMD and Disco Bloodbath (both lined up for this years’ Lovebox (16-19th July) are both leading the way with the “disco revival” and what with Diggin’ Deeper, it just goes to prove is that there’s a disco groove to suite everyone.
Of course, back in the day when these records were being made, there was a proper music industry full of excess that functioned in an Internet free world where vinyl was king. The result was, by and large, quality ‘product’, production and musicianship that’s unparalleled compared to today’s computer-aided standards (of course, there’s some might fine exceptions to this generality but even so, the 12″ mix, disco or otherwise is a distant thing of beauty).
Diggin’ Deeper is therefore, not only a celebration, it’s a party! A massive 20 hard-to-find rarities and classics either in full 12″ glory or original album version format saving fans and DJs alike a small (no actually a large) fortune.
You’ll love every track on Diggin’ Deeper as compiler Mr. Pinks shows off what a brilliant record collection he has and presents an almost exhaustive spectrum of Disco.
There’s funy disco (Party Song), synchronized dancing in bell bottoms discos (Soul Searchin’ Time), blame it on the other Michael Jackson disco (Weekend), Space-age disco (Dancing Angel), blaxploitation theme disco (Something’s Up), electro disco (The Voice Of Q), boy band meets jazz-funk vibe disco (I’m In Heaven), roadblock funk disco (Bumper To Bumper), Euro strange accent disco (Getting Serious), boogie bump cow bell stringed out disco (Get Up And Boogie), TV game show disco (Countdown: Well it is by Dan ‘Instant Reply’ Hartman and storms the room for a full 14 minutes!), Big Band disco (Sing Sing Sing), Tarzan disco (Savage Lover) and so, so much more.
OK, as a jazz fan the rather cheesey sax solos could be toned down a bit but that’s a small gripe really. Whilst on the subject, as an aside, did you here Peterson say on his show this week that Kon (of Kon and Amir fame) has removed the dodgy guitar solo out of Pleasure’s classic ‘Joyous’ (can’t wait to hear that one) and he played more disco goodness with a Kon’s edit of Linda Clifford’s ‘Runaway Love’ and that Sofrito version of ‘Back To My Roots’ again!
Back to the disco discharge, the sleeve notes are once again are provided by Alan Jones (co-author of best selling book Saturday Night Forever: The Story of Disco. Harmless also welcome their new label manager, Ian Dewhirst, who has overseen the latest Disco Discharge series. Ian’s knowledge and background in disco and Northern Soul as a DJ, A&R and from his experience in re-issuing the whole back catalogue of Salsoul and the Mastercuts series is priceless and adds even more kudos to project
The other three new versions in Harmless’ Disco Discharge series are European Connection, Disco Boogie and Pink Pounders so that’ll make a total of 16 CDs, I haven’t stopped dancin’ yet and just can’t get enough all at the same time.
Reviewed: V/A – Disco Discharge: Diggin’ Deeper (Harmless) Cat. No. HURTCD093 Release date: 7th June 2010
Tracklisting: Disc 1
1) Sticky Fingers – Party Song (Original Album Version)
2) The Trammps – Soul Searchin’ Time (Original Album version)
3) Mick Jackson – Weekend (Original 12″ Instrumental Mix)
4) The Ritchie Family – Quiet Village (Original Album Version)
5) Poussez – Never Gonna Say Goodbye (Original 12″ Mix)
6) Constellation Orchestra – Dancing Angel (Original Album Version)
7) USA European Connection – There’s A Way Into My Heart (Original Album Version)
8) Wayne St. John – Something’s Up (Love Me Like The First Time) (Original 12″ Mix)
9) Carol Hahn – Do Your Best (Original 12″ Mix)
10) Q – The Voice Of Q (Original 12″ Mix)
1) Touch Of Class – I’m In Heaven (Original 12″Disco Mix)
2) Avenue B Boogie Band – Bumper To Bumper (Original 12″ Mix)
3) 2wice – You Set Me On Fire (Larry Levan 12″Mix)
4) Frantique – Getting Serious (Original 12″ Mix)
5) Freddie James – Get Up And Boogie (Original Album Version)
6) Dan Hartman – Countdown/This Is It (Original Full Length 12″ Mix)
7) John Davis And The Monster Orchestra – Ain’t That Enough For You (Original Album Version)
8) Charlie Calello Orchestra – Sing Sing Sing (Original 12″ Mix)
9) Ferrara – Love Attack (Original 12″ Mix)
10) The Ring – Savage Lover (Original 12″ Long Version Vocal Mix)
19th June 2010: Big Bang Britannia feat. Guy Barker and special guests Dame Cleo Lane, Stan Tracey, Bobby Wellins, Jason Yarde, Norma Winstone and more with Jazz Jamaica on the Club stage. www.barbican.org.uk
BBC Radio 1: Gilles Peterson :: 16 Jun 2010 02:00-04:00 :: Actress live in the studio
Linda Clifford – Runaway Love (Kon’s Stripped down Mix) (White)
Sofrito – Soweto Disco (Back To My Roots) (White)